Saturday, August 4, 2007

On The Difficulty Of Discipline


Thursday and Friday, I wanted to go to the gym at my work and do some bag training. I brought my bag gloves to work, and my hand wraps (don't leave home without 'em). I packed my Everlast round timer (see photo) which still works even though the clip that keeps it attached to your shorts broke off.

No luck. Just too busy, what with interviewing a job candidate, editing stories, and attending meetings about my company getting acquired. (I could use a chance to blow off steam.)

Thursday night I was at least able to do some home Physical Therapy. Friday evening, I considered going from work to the gym, but my wife, who I haven't been able to spend much time with lately, wanted to go out to dinner, so I came home (after my hour-and-a-half commute I got home at about 7:15 PM, my normal time--one reason it can be hard to spend a lot of time with my family). We went to dinner with our daughter to a restaurant where my wife's second cousin is head chef.

I was just going to drink water, but I saw a table get glasses of white wine, it was so damn hot and the end of the week, and I ordered a glass of wine too. At least I had salmon for dinner.

Got home full and tired (I'd gotten up early to prepare for interviewing the job candidate in the morning) and I just plopped in front of the TV. At 10 I watched Human Weapon, for the episode about karate, set in Okinawa, didn't get to bed until 11:30 (I shoot for 10).

(It's interesting seeing original Okinawan karate kumite, where you can't hit to the head--that's why karateka can hold their hands down by their sides. You get more power punching from that position, but you don't protect your head. In my martial arts school, where we do kickboxing, you usually have your hands up by your head for protection.)

Today I couldn't sleep late so I'm working on seven hours of sleep, when eight is better for me and I do have a sleep deficit from this week. But with all I have to do this weekend, I still want to get in bag training today, and PT at the gym tomorrow.

One of the problems is that martial arts are fun, just working out or doing physical therapy isn't, but I can't do martial arts yet.

Quote of the evening, from my 14-year-old daughter, who wants us to adopt a baby, upon seeing a kitten: "You won't even get me a baby, at least you could get me a kitten."

No comments: