Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Waiting for Godoctor

I got my MRI last night, last patient of the evening, at about 8:40. Only my legs went in the big ring. The hardest thing about the scan was not wiggling my goes during or between scans--if you ask my wife, she'll tell you, my toes wiggle all the time. It took all my martial arts discipline to keep them still, they felt so awkward.

I got a set of photos that I can't interpret in the slightest.

I'll see the doctor on Monday to find out what the story is.

On the positive side, my knee is improving, I do much better at flattening it, etc. The soft brace I'm wearing during the day helps a lot.

On the negative, it does still hurt, especially when I flex or extend it. And I worry about the psychological damage--will I always favor it?

Today, after not having worked out since I hurt the knee last Wednesday, I went to the gym downstairs from my office after work and had a boxing workout. I was very careful with the knee. I worked timed rounds on the speed bag (BUH-duh-duh, BUH-duh-duh, bloop....), in shadow boxing, on the heavy bag--jabbing, short and full cross, box-and-move. I also did four 30-second "shoeshine" rounds on the heavy bag, hitting as fast as I could for the full round, then resting a minute, in order to build up that anaerobic endurance I need. I did 120 crunches and 50 pushups. It was good to work out, and a good stress relief to hit the bag.

I'm reading a fascinating, well-written book, "A Fighter's Heart," which I'll try to address at some other time. NYT bestseller.

5 comments:

Steve said...

Glad things are looking positive for your knee. Here's hoping the news from your doctor affirms that it's nothing serious!

I picked up a additional class on Saturdays: the MMA class. Lots of bagwork, so far. I'm amazed at how different the cardio and conditioning is between striking and grappling. I'm glad I'm able to work it in.

Finally, A Fighter's Heart has been working its way around my school, too. I'll have to pick it up and give it a read. Been highly recommended to me by several people.

Take care.

Jed said...

Waiting is definitely the worst part. Waiting when you know what you did is worse yet.

I managed to tear my UCL this past weekend playing Rugby. ACL felt amazing.

You'll definitely preference your 'strong' leg for a while. Although I think both times I came back 'quick' I didn't preference as heavily as the time that I decided to take 11 months off from sports.

Michele said...

I am glad to hear that your knee is feeling better. I hope you get a good report from the doctor on Monday.

Blackbeltmama said...

Sending good thoughts for Monday. Are you searching google images to try to read your films? I diagnosed myself before I even went back to the surgeon. I'm hoping there's nothing to diagnose with you.

Bob M said...

Thanks, all, for the good wishes, I appreciate them more than I can say.