Wednesday, April 2, 2008

I Hurt My Knee

My knee hyperextended tonight in sparring.

We were only sparring to the body, no head punches, which leads to a very close, high-intensity battle. I was sparring with a tall, fellow brown belt in his mid to late teens. We were both clinching for knee kicks, if I recall; he stepped back, and I put my weight on my recovering left leg and hyperextended it. I went down right away. I got hurt even though I was wearing my brace, which primarily prevents the knee from going sideways.

My ACL is fine, but I pulled something behind and on the side of my knee. If I try to straighten out my knee, it hurts. I am walking very carefully and will probably work from home tomorrow. I've been icing my knee, I took a naproxen, and I had a couple sips of red wine to boot.

It was heart-warming how quickly classmates and my sensei came to my aid when I fell. Everybody was worried I had re-injured my knee. Nothing popped, but it sure is sore.

My wife and daughter got me ice and cleared off the couch. I can see they're worried.

5 comments:

Jed said...

If you got a Cryo-cuff during surgery those are the absolute best for icing knees :).

It's absolute superstition but bring your Cryo-cuff and crutches to every match (or what ever the Martial Art Equivalent is). I think we had 2 ACLs at Nashbash and I lent my crutches to a friend.

Statistically speaking I've never torn an ACL when I had my crutches with me ...

Hyper extension in my case was a PCL. I had somebody land on my leg when it was stretched out in soccer. Which is why when ACL #1 went I ignored it because I thought it was just another PCL extension.

Michele said...

Oh, no!

Rest and ice are a good idea. I hope your knee feels better today.

BobSpar said...

Thanks for the suggestions.

Jed, great idea, my wife helped me find the Cryo-cuff, and I've got it on now.

Michele, I'm working from home today to give it a rest.

PCL--hmm, one more thing in the knee that can go wrong.

Blackbeltmama said...

This is my worst nightmare! I really do hope you're o.k. It makes me think about one of my readers who told me after my ACL tear that I should take up tai chi. Maybe a slightly different "pursuit of health" is in order.

When I do go back, I'm going to make sure I'm only working with people I really really trust. I'm not going to be afraid to say no either. Don't be. You don't want to go through this again!

anesha said...

Hi Nice Blog.Welcome to inner exploration of Knee - Study the anatomy of the human body - Each topic has animations, 100's of graphics, and thousands of descriptive links.