Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Jump Rope Aftermath

My body is talking to me today, and it's saying, "Jumping rope is hard on my knees and feet!"

The most painful thing is plantar fasciitis, which has posed a problem for me before. It's an inflammation of soft tissue running the length of the bottom of the foot. In my case, oddly, it's my right foot that's hurting the most, though the left knee is the one that got the ACL operation.

My left knee doesn't hurt a lot, but I want to pay attention to any pain I have there.

I figure that doing half an hour of cardio workout in the morning, and then a core class at night, probably burned off an extra 800 or 900 calories for me yesterday.

But in the spirit of listening to my body, I'm going to work out just once today--no AM cardio workout. I will take kickboxing class tonight, and we'll see what I can learn and how I'll fare in the elite Wednesday class. How can I neutralize Larry's pressure tactics? Can I move well against Gumba Frank the way I learned about a month ago?

Maybe I can go back to two workouts tomorrow. But today, I'll be doing some Christmas shopping.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi there!
I too am a middle aged martial artist recovering (12 years now) from a torn ACL AND medial meniscus. I went back to MA 2 years after surgery. Have done Aikido, JuJutsu and Krav... I find that the striking arts put less strain on my knee...
I wish you the BEST...
Good luck man!

Bob M said...

Thanks--I'm glad to hear you're still going strong 12 years later.

I love the striking arts, but I have to get through grappling to get my black belt, alas ....