Sunday, March 1, 2009

Sparring Retread

I took my first sparring class in weeks. I had missed many due to schedule troubles, illness, and, for the most recent two weeks when I DID attend, a focus on footwork drills instead of actual sparring.

As a result, I was terrible. One of the more veteran black belts said he remembered when I used to hit hard and stick people with my front kick, and he was sure I would be doing that again. Since I hadn't asked for sympathy, this was totally voluntary on his part and showed how obvious my decline had been.

This is frustrating because sparring is my favorite part of my school's curriculum.

You learn how to ride a bike as a kid, and you always remember. You don't need a reminder about how to read.

But there are other types of skills, like sparring, like grappling, that need constant honing or you lose ground.

I know I'll regain it. With work.

2 comments:

Michele said...

Try not to be too hard on yourself. You will regain it. Since it is your favorite part of class...think about how much you will enjoy working on it. :)

Bob M said...

You have such a great attitude, Michele! And I think you're right.