Tuesday, June 10, 2008

My Eye

In grappling Monday night, my buddy Larry, while very careful about my reconstructed ACL, was less careful about my eye, dragging it across his shoulder (I know, it's kind of hard to picture how it happened). Result: My first eye injury, mild as it is, in martial arts: See the abrasion below my eye in the photo.

I haven't gotten a black eye previously in kickboxing, thanks mostly to protective gear and the reach advantage I have over many of my opponents. I've gotten lots of bruises and abrasions on my skin in grappling, but not in the eye until now.

6 comments:

Michele said...

Ouch!

I only had one black eye. It happened during sparring. My sparring partner was aiming for the edge of the helmet and caught me in the eye.

Hack Shaft said...

Owie!

I was watching UFC a while back, and they declared a no-contest in the 3rd round when one fighter was unintentionally gouged in the eye by the other one throwing a rather open-handed punch.

Hope your eyesight is still OK!

Bob M said...

Hey, guys, thanks; Hack, my eyesight is fine, good enough to keep looking for that return-to-sparring post of yours; Michele, must have been interesting walking into the office the next day!

Michele said...

You bet! I was recently married and most people asked me if my husband gave me the black eye. He did not.

I was a kyu rank at the time. I was sparring a mid-level black belt who liked to experiment with his techniques on kyu ranks. I avoided sparring for quite a while. This experience influences the way I approach sparring to this day. As an instructor, when I spar students, I feel it is their chance to experiment, not mine.

Blackbeltmama said...

At least it's not your ACL. ;-)

Bob M said...

lol, yeah! Recovery was a LOT faster....