Thursday, July 21, 2011

Schedule

I'm having trouble finding the right schedule for working out.

Right now I'm trying out going to the gym at work in the morning, Monday through Friday, going to boxing class in the evening Monday, Wednesday and/or Friday, and getting in a day of working out on the weekend.

The problem is I'm exhausted. My work day officially starts at 8 AM (though I'm often working on my commute on the way in). My commute is long. To get to the work gym in time to get to my desk a little before 8,  I have been getting up at 5:15 AM.

That means, to get 7 or 8 hours of sleep--and I am one of those people who do better on 8 hours--I need to get to sleep at 9:15 or so, far before my family goes to bed, which is unsatisfying.

Moreover, boxing class runs 8 to 9, and I just don't get enough sleep after that class.

Going to the gym during the work day isn't ideal. I supervise reporters doing real-time news, and it's not at all comfortable to be in the gym when somebody commits some news.

I'm still trying to figure it out.

4 comments:

Erica said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Kory Cochran said...

Just started following you. I'm 43 and thinking of getting back into martial arts. I was in it from age 12 until about age 23. I haven't done any kind of martial arts workout since. The biggest reason for getting back into it, is that it was one of the only things I ever was passionate about. I now am 5'-8" and weigh 325 now so I've got to do something that I love to do. I was looking for some 40 something martial artists and so did Google search and found your blog. Hope you keep writing.

Bob M said...

Kory, thanks for the comment, sorry to be late with my reply. You definitely need to find something you love to do and can stick with. Good luck!

Marshall Artest said...

A conundrum indeed. I hope it gets better and you can achieve balance.